Sunday, August 13, 2017

SAME OLD DEVILS


You feel like a kid at Christmas when one of your all time favorite bands comes to play your favorite venue. This perfectly sums up how I felt watching Every Time I Die crush First Avenue this past Thursday night.

First Avenue is one of the best venues I’ve ever been in. Bands love it. Fans love it. It’s hard to find a place to stand where you can’t see what’s happening on stage.

I hadn’t heard of All Get Out before this show and they started out very strong. A passionate performance that saw cymbals getting knocked over and the band leaving it all on stage. Unfortunately, the last song lacked the passion the rest of the set had. The bulk of their set was enough to get curiosity rolling to do a little digging and check out the band more.

The crowd doubled in size in the 15 min set change.


Every Time I Die came out and had that crowd eating out of the palm of their hand by the chorus of the first song “We’rewolf”. The crowd went into a frenzy with they followed up with “Floater”. The guy in front of me launched himself off the divider and into the crowd. The pit was rabid and I made sure to keep an eye on Zis taking pictures. I was worried about him taking a foot to the back of the head. Zis came back after “Apocalypse Now and Then” saying he could not hear Keith up front over the crowd.

The band fed off the crowd’s energy and seemed more animated than normal … if that’s even possible? Keith’s mic cut out for a song and a half and the front of house guy didn’t even notice until Keith tried talking in between songs. That’s how loud the crowd was!

Huge sing-a-longs for “The Coin Has A Say,” “Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space” and “Bored Stiff.” “Map Change” went off amazing live as it is a standout track on the new album Low Teens but is completely melodic compared to the rest of the set’s crunch.

Even though I was a tad bummed there was no “I DIdn’t Want to Join Your Stupid Cult Anyways” tonight .. I will admit “Fear and Trembling” was a pretty perfect exclamation point to end their set. They should’ve left the stage to the Rocky theme song for a set as victorious as that was.


45 mins is not enough of a set time for Every Time I Die however they made do of the time they had and made sure that crowd was exhausted by the time they left the stage. They accomplished exactly what they wanted on this tour and won some Taking Back Sunday fans over in the process.

Sadly, I had to leave before Taking Back Sunday took the stage but I’m sure they delivered an amazing set. Judging by the set lists I’ve seen online, fans were in for a treat and maybe they won some ETID fans over as well.

As much as this was a weird pairing of bands by putting TBS and ETID on the same bill, this is clearly going over way better than either band could possibly ever have imagined. Almost the entire tour thus far was sold out and even though First Avenue wasn’t sold out, it had to be damn close. I am a huge fan of this idea and hopefully more bands will continue to do this. Team up and sell out venues all across the country. It’s a win-win for the fans and the bands.

Hit the jump to see more sweet shots of Every Time I Die from Brett Zisler!


No comments:

Post a Comment